Full coalition meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of every month from 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. We usually do not meet in July and December.
Our meetings alternate between the Tomah Police Department's Community Room (Tomah) and Brighter Tomorrow's conference room (Sparta).
(TSC = Traffic Safety Commission meeting)
December – NO MEETING
January 10 - Sparta
February 14 - Tomah (TSC)
March 14 - Sparta
April 11 - Tomah
May 9 - Sparta (TSC)
June 13 - Tomah
July - NO MEETING
August 8 - Sparta (TSC)
September 12 - Tomah
October 10 - Sparta
November 14 - Tomah (TSC)
December - NO MEETING
At this time, all work groups meet at Couleecap in Sparta (217 N. Black River Street)
Prescription Drug Work Group - typically meets the 1st Monday of the month from 12:30 - 2:00 pm
January meeting will be January 9th from 12:30 - 2:00 pm due to the holiday
The Prescription Drugs Work Group will continue MCSCC programming pertaining to Prescription Drug issues in Monroe County. Some examples of work the Prescription Drug Work Group has done or will do are:
- Conduct a review of pharmacy protocols regarding prescription drug sales within Monroe County
- Engage community groups, veterinarians, dentists, realtors, health care providers, law enforcement, and other entities to promote medication abuse messages
- Collaborate with pharmacists and health care providers to target outreach about storage and disposal
- Promote existing disposal sites and consider new ways to collect medications and possible new permanent disposal site
- Educate the community, including special populations, on preventing access to their medications in the home
Alcohol Work Group - meets the 3rd Tuesday of the month from 9:30 - 11:00 am and alternates between Couleecap in Sparta and the Tomah Police Department.
January 2017 meeting is in Tomah
The Alcohol Work Group will continue MCSCC programming pertaining to Alcohol issues in Monroe County. Some examples of work the Alcohol Work Group has done or will do are:
- Conduct policy reviews for alcohol sales and laws/ordinances within Monroe County and support and encourage changes toward a more positive alcohol environment
- Educate parents and other adults on the dangers of underage drinking and importance of limiting youth access to alcohol through utilization of consistent alcohol-related messages & the Parents Who Host Lose The Most Campaign
- Work with Law Enforcement to ensure that alcohol compliance checks and party patrols are being done on a regular basis
- Support alcohol free alternatives for youth around prom and/or graduation
Marijuana Work Group - meet the 1st Monday of the month from 9:00 - 10:30 am
January meeting will be January 9th from 10:00 - 11:30 pm due to the holiday (date AND time change!)
The Marijuana Workgroup is beginning MCSCC programming pertaining to Marijuana issues in Monroe County. Some examples of work the Marijuana Work Group will do is:
- Create a marijuana workgroup that will focus on marijuana issues within Monroe County.
- Research SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana) methods and determine what may work in Monroe County.
- Work with those at the state level to see what recommendations are being made for marijuana prevention efforts and implement some of the recommendations.
- Start collecting data in regards to marijuana use locally from law enforcement, emergency rooms, poisons control, stores selling paraphernalia, etc.
- Educate community on the facts of the current marijuana laws and issues through local newspapers, websites, and Facebook posts, as well as peer to peer outreach.
Operations Work Group - meets the 3rd Thursday of each month from 1:00 - 2:30 pm
No meeting in December
The Operations work group will help coordinate the marketing, fundraising and membership components for the MCSCC. Some examples of work the Operations Work Group has done or will do are:
- Help identify and/or make in person visits to prospective members to ensure participation of all 12 sectors of our community
- Help to develop plans (i.e. – marketing or fundraising) to benefit the future of the coalition
- Review Sustainability plan to ensure the continuation of projects the coalition is helping to get started within the county
- Determine educational and training needs for MCSCC members and actively seek out opportunities to address those needs
- Share what their business/agency is working on in prevention with coordinator to put on Facebook page, website and in newsletter
- Utilize MCSCC’s new logo in all promotional material and articles